Upward I look and see Him there...

I have been thinking this afternoon on the very great love Jesus has for me. It sounds so....trite to say it, because I feel it is a hackneyed phrase. Everyone speaks about Jesus' love, and yet we can never understand the depth and fullness of it. But today I am feeling, more than ever, the vastness of His love. To know that no matter what I do, He still looks at me with love, and even when I sin and virtually spit in His dear face, Jesus holds out his arms to me with a tender smile and begs me to follow Him.
Such knowledge is too vast for me. It makes me feel minuscule.

Since I always sing when I'm happy, snatches of songs have flittered through my mind, illustrating the point:

"When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there,
Who made an end to all my sin.
Because a sinless Savior died,
My guilty soul is counted free
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me..."

And yet another song:
"No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me.
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of Hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand.
till He returns, or calls me home,
Here is the love of Christ, I stand."

Beautiful promises, and ones that I find infinitely dearer when I have sinned and feel His forgiveness. It might seem a strange thought, but I have often thought that there might be a special sweetness in coming to know Christ at an older age, since you would have experienced life without Christ, and then beauty of His holiness and forgiveness afterward.
(Not that I would trade in knowing Jesus from a young age for that, however inspiring the sensation would be.)
To know that I am in His keeping, and that He loves me and wishes to know me intimately is an everlasting comfort. When I feel lonely, I realize He is waiting for me ask Him to be my companion. When I am worrying, He asks that I give all my cares to Him.
My Jesus is amazing. But I can't describe Him at all. He is, after all, indescribable. But here is a video that brushes the surface and expresses what my heart is thrilling with. It is a description of my Lord that a preacher, S. M. Lockridge recited in the mid 70's , and humbles me each and every time I listen to it. :) ~Rachel






0 comments:

Post a Comment